Spray drying has been shown to improve the bioavailability of poorly soluble compounds through the development of spray dried dispersions (SDD). An SDD is an amorphous molecular dispersion of a drug in a polymer matrix created by dissolving drug and polymer in an organic solvent and then spray-drying the solution.
A widely used processing technology, spray-drying offers a number of advantages, including:
- Enhanced bioavailability of poorly soluble compounds
- Consistent particle size distribution
- Long-term stability
- Robust, scalable process
- Higher drug loading
- Enables taste masking or controlled release dosage forms
SDD technology offers proven performance, stability and manufacturability and is a key component of our bioavailability enhancement portfolio that includes: micronization, fluid bed processing, hot melt complexation and liquid-filled capsules.
Pharmatek offers a range of services for the development and manufacture of spray dried dispersions. We combine our expertise in formulation and process development with our capabilities in spray drying to overcome some of the most difficult product development challenges. Our services include:
- Feasibility Studies
- Formulation/Process Development and Optimization
- cGMP Manufacturing
Pharmatek’s Spray Drying Equipment
- Buchi B-290 Mini Spray Dryer
- GEA Niro SD Micro
- ProCepT 4M8-Trix
- GEA Niro Mobile Minor Spray Dryer (x2)
- Aqueous & Solvent Processing
- Closed Loop System
- Particle Size Range from 5 μm to 80 μm
- Gerteis Mini-Pactor Roller Compactor for downstream processing
Click here to see pictures of the installation of our GEA Niro Mobile Minor Spray Dryer.